Mental Health – Our mental health includes all aspects of our emotional, psychological, and social well-being. Mental health impacts how we think, feel, and act to cope with life. Additionally, mental health helps us to interact with people, manage relationships, manage stress, and make decisions or choices. So, it is very important to keep our mental health healthy.
Approximately 450 million people are currently living with a mental illness worldwide, according to WHO (2021) report. one in five children and adolescents worldwide suffer from mental disorders. 5 % of adults are living with depression. Suicide is the second leading cause of death among individuals aged 15 to 29 years; approximately 8 Lakh people die by suicide every year. According to this report, One person dies by suicide every 40 seconds.
Good mental health is all about feeling positive about ourselves and others too, forming good relationships, and having the strength to cope with life’s challenges and make us strong. Positive and negative emotions can be expressed and managed by someone with good mental health.
In this discussion, we discuss mental health, why it is important, what are the signs of good mental health, how to maintain it, and mental illness, what is the causes, early signs, and treatment of it. Then, we also discuss WHO response to mental health. So, Let’s start.
What is Mental Health
Mental health is an important aspect of life at every stage from childhood to adolescence and through adulthood and the elderly. Many people use the term Mental Health in its simplest form to mean that they are free of mental disorders. Mental health can impact a person’s daily life, relationships, and even physical health.
Mental health leads to mental illness which is a serious condition that can affect your thinking, mood, and behavior. Mental illnesses include depression, anxiety disorders, schizophrenia, eating disorders, and addictive behaviors.
Why is Mental Health Important?
Mental health and physical health both are equally important to overall health. Mental health is important because it helps to determine how we deal with stress, interact with others, and make healthy or right choices and impacts our thoughts, behaviors, and emotions. Our mental health is important because it can help us to:
- Manage the stresses of life,
- Be physically healthy,
- Keep good relationships,
- Make significant contributions to your community
- Work productively
- Discover your full potential
Signs of Good Mental Health
The signs of good mental health are as follows:
- we feel optimistic,
- we do not always blame ourselves,
- we set our goals,
- we feel good about ourselves,
- we sense spiritual well-being
- we have good self-esteem,
- we feel confident when faced with new situations or people.
Tips for Good Mental Health
To keep our mental health good and take care of ourselves are very important. By doing some simple changes in our life, we can keep our mental health healthy, it doesn’t need to cost a fortune or take up loads of time. Here are some tips to keep our mental health healthy in the following ways as follows:
- Talk about your feelings: When we talk about our feelings, we will be able to keep our mental health healthy and able to deal with any trouble periods in life.
- Eat well: Just like other body organs, our brain needs a mix of nutrients to remain healthy and function properly.
- Drink sensibly: Drinking is not the best way to handle difficult feelings or emotions. The effects of alcohol withdrawal symptoms on our brain and the body can make us feel worse after a drink wears off.
- Pay attention to the present moment: The past and the future are not under our control, so don’t regret and overthink. Live in present and enjoy every moment.
- Ask for help: All of us sometimes get overwhelmed when things don’t go as we planned. Ask for help from family or friends, they may be able to offer practical help or just a listening ear.
- Getting enough sleep: Try relaxing with yoga and meditation. Listen to your body, when we feel exhausted give ourselves some time to sleep. without a night of good sleep, our mental health suffers.
- Accept who you are: Love ourselves first, accept who we are. Feeling good about ourselves boosts our confidence to learn new skills, explore new places and make new friends.
- Getting physically active: The benefits of regular exercise can include boosting our self-esteem, allowing us to sleep better, and improving our mood.
Common Mental Health Disorders or Mental Illness
The most common types of mental illness are as follows:
- Anxiety disorders,
- Mood disorders,
- Clinical depression,
- Bipolar disorder,
- Mood disorders,
- Eating disorders,
- Personality disorders,
- Post-traumatic stress disorder,
- Psychotic disorders.
What Causes Mental Illness?
Typically, mental illnesses are caused by problems with neurotransmission between neurons in the brain. However, there is a wide variety of conditions that affect mood, thinking, and behavior. A variety of causes contribute to the risk for mental illness as follows:
- Use of alcohol or drugs
- Negative life experiences early in life
- Biological factors
- Chemical imbalances in the brain
- Conditions such as cancer or diabetes that require ongoing (chronic) medical conditions
- A feeling of loneliness or isolation
Early signs of mental illness
No physical test or scan can reliably determine whether someone has a mental illness. The majority of people have mental issues from time to time. When these issues cause frequent stress and interfere with your ability to function, you become psychologically ill. However, people should watch out for the following early signs to indicate mental illness
- Eating or sleeping too much or too little,
- Feeling sad or down,
- Pulling away from people and usual activities,
- Having low or no energy,
- Confused thinking or reduced ability to concentrate,
- Having unexplained aches and pains,
- Feeling helpless or hopeless,
- Smoking, drinking, or using drugs more than usual,
- Feeling unusually confused, forgetful, on edge, angry, upset, worried, or scared,
- Yelling or fighting with family and friends,
- Experiencing severe mood swings that cause problems in relationships,
- Hearing voices or believing things that are not true,
- Thinking of harming yourself or others,
Inability to perform daily tasks like taking care of your kids or getting to work or school
Treatment of Mental Health
A mental disorder is treated differently depending on the type of mental disorder, but almost always involves psychiatric counseling. Sometimes medication may be prescribed as well. The following are some treatments for mental health that help us to cure our mental illness as follows:
- Psychological treatment: treatment of depression with psychological treatment and, for moderate to severe cases, antidepressant medicines
- Prescription medicine: treatment of psychosis with antipsychotic medicines and psychosocial support
- Support groups: A support group can help you gain insight into your condition by providing friendships, support, resources, and tips on how to live with your condition.
- Brain stimulation therapy: Electroconvulsive therapy cause changes in the brain that can improve and even reverse troubling symptoms of mental illness.
- Other therapy: Many types of therapies can be used to treat mental health problems. Some of these can be physical activities, like exercise and yoga.
- Residential treatment program: Sometimes your mental health issues become so bad that you need to receive treatment in a hospital or a long-term program.
Do Mental Health Problems Ever Go Away?
Yes, mental health problems can go away. Many factors affect a person’s mental health. When the demands placed on a person exceed their resources and coping abilities, their mental health could be impacted. Mental illness does not usually go away on its own. Pay attention to the warning signs and get treated according to them.
What are mental health problems?
The common mental health problems are depression, anxiety disorders, schizophrenia, eating disorders, and addictive behaviors.
A few years ago, hardly everyone could access websites or browse the internet, but now because cellphones are so affordable and widely available, practically the
Setting up a “always free” virtual private server (VPS) on Google Cloud Platform Introduction While many providers provide smaller VPSs that you can try for
What is Santolanasana (Balancing pose) and its Benefits? The Santolanasana or balancing pose strengthens the core and the arms. A strong core is necessary for
What is Janu Sirsasana (Head-to-Knee Pose) and its Benefits? Janu Sirsasana is a forward bend with one leg bent and the other leg extended forward.
What is Eka Padasana or one-foot pose and its Benefits? Eka Padasana or a one-foot pose is a standing balancing yoga pose. Eka Padasana works
What is Eka Padottanasana or one leg raised to head pose and its Benefits? Eka Padottanasana or one leg raised to head pose is a
What is Dwikonasana or Double Angle Pose and its Benefits? The Dwikonasana is one of many yogic poses in which the head is bent downwards
What is Sirsha Angustha Yogasana (Head to Toe Pose) and its Benefits? The Sirsha Angushtha Yogasana or The Head to Toe Pose is a forward
What is Shashankasana (Rabbit Pose) and its Benefits? Shashankasana is a simple forward-bending posture that provides a gentle stretch with relaxes and energizes the mind
What is Simhagarjasana (Roaring Lion Pose) and its Benefits? Simhagarjasana in English is called The Roaring Lion Pose. As you practice, your facial expressions will
What is Yoga Mudrasana (Psychic Union Pose) and its Benefits? Yoga Mudrasana or Psychic Union Pose is a deep forward bend. Asanas are a great
What is Tadasana and its Benefits? Tadasana is a simple standing yoga pose, which functions as a foundation for many other standing yoga positions. All
What is Shirshasana or Headstand pose and its Benefits? The headstand pose or Shirsasana, is the king of all poses because it shows off a