Epilepsy and it`s treatment - An Ayurvedic Approach
Back then, when I was a fourth grader, a friend of ours fainted in the classroom and his body started shaking. Our subject teacher suddenly took off his shoes and put that towards his nose. School uniform loosened, he was taken to school office. Later we were told that he gained conscious and was taken home by his family members. It was my first encounter with an epileptic. Than after, he never appeared in the school. Then too I wondered why he left school when it was not his fault, today too I don’t have the answer. He is now connected through facebook but I don’t think he should be asked this question, so I don’t. The stigma is painful. Here we discuss on epilepsy and its treatment - ayurvedic treatment in general - for your benefit. The Epilepsy Foundation states, A person is diagnosed with epilepsy if they have had at least two seizures that were not caused by some known and reversible medical condition like alcohol withdrawal or extremely low blood sugar. The seizures in epilepsy may be related to a brain injury or a family tendency, but often the cause is completely unknown. Epilepsy is the fourth most common neurological disorder and affects people of all ages. It is a chronic disorder that can show a wide range of seizure types and control that vary between person to person. When disruption is caused in the process of brain's electrical pulse, body's organs begin to twitch. During the incident, most patients generally go anesthetist and eye balls are reversed. The patient gets unconscious and body parts begin to seizure. The major symptom of epilepsy is frothing from the mouth.
Which age group is most likely to acquire epilepsy?
Epilepsy has nothing to do with age. Yet, new cases of epilepsy are most common among children within the first year of age. The graph of new cases goes down till the age of 10 and then becomes stable. Again, the rate of new cases of epilepsy starts to increase after the age of 55 when the person begins to develop strokes, brain tumours, or alzheimer’s disease – these all can cause epilepsy. People with traumatic brain injury are more vulnerable to epilepsy. Seizures can occur early after injury and go away after the acute injury calms down but seizure can also occur later on after the acute injury has healed. Post traumatic epilepsy mostly affect the members of armed forces who have been in combat. Estimation shows that 1.5% of Asian Americans are living with epilepsy today.
Ayurvedic Treatment for Epilepsy ?
1. Epilepsy patient can be treated with grape juice. The person should take half kilo of grapefruit juice in the morning on an empty stomach regularly for six months to experience the results.
2. Epileptic should take bath with water mixed with epsom salts (magnesium sulphate). This helps in controlling seizures and their severity.
3. Wet soil in water and apply the mixture to patient’s whole body. This is highly beneficial treatment. Take bathe after an hour. The patient will feel better and seizers will be checked/controlled.
4. Use of Vitamin B 6 (Pireedaksin) is also considered an ultimate benefactor. Carrots, nuts, rice, green vegetables and pulses serve good quantities of Vitamin B-6. We should take 150-200 milligrams of vitamin B 6 on regular basis.
5. Epileptic person should not be exposed to mental stress and extreme physical labor.
6. A most try course – feed 250 gram of goat milk mixed with 50 gram rosemary leaves juice each day in the morning for two weeks; seizures stop.
7. Chew 20 basil leaves daily and severity of the disease will get down.
8. Petha is one of the best home therapy to person with Epilepsy. Drink petha juice regularly to experience the effect. Add mulhti powder or sugar in the juice to improve its taste.
9. Mix 100 ml of water in 100 ml of milk and boil. Add garlic cut into small pieces. Drink each night. You will see effects in a few days. Butter made from cow's milk highly benefits in epilepsy. Eat ten grams each day.
10. Make the epilepsy patient smell basil leaves mixed with camphor; the patient will regain consciousness.
11. Grind mustard seeds to powder and make epilepsy patient; s/he will regain consciousness.
12. Mulberry juice and apple juice are beneficial for patients with epilepsy
13. Apply 8-10 drops of Ach (Calotropis gigantean) in the soles of the feet and rub daily in the evening regularly for two months. You will see the effects.
14. Grind basil leaves and rub it on the body of the epileptic patient – this helps.
15. Prepare a juice of basil leaves, mix with rock salt and drop 1-1 drop of the mixture through nasal dripping to epilepsy patient. See the positive effects.
16. Make the epilepsy patient keep a bit asafoetida with lemon in her/his mouth to suck its juice.